13 Convenient Foods – Nutritionist Approved
We are constantly on the go and it has become easier and easier to grab some fast food instead of a nutritious meal.
Bonnie Taub-Dix, RDN, creator of BetterThanDieting.com says, “If there’s one nutrition phrase that gets headline attention that I wish would go away it’s ‘Don’t eat foods that contain more than five ingredients.’”
Meal prepping seems like a daunting task when you have a busy life, but here are a few easy tips to make quick, healthy convenient food to stock up on
- Stir in herb and spice pastes, known to many nutritionist as the ultimate shortcut, last up to three months and can be added to salad dressings stir fries, marinades and more. They are time savers from having to grate and cut herbs and spices while meal prepping and also you won’t have wilting herbs in your fridge.
- Microwavable Grains, perhaps the best thing since sliced bread! Making brown rice and quinoa can take anywhere from a half hour to forty-five minutes on the stove. Seeds of Change makes the best and most delicious microwavable pouches that take just 90 seconds in the microwave to make.
- Bone Broth: No one has time to collect chicken or beef bones, veggie scraps and leftover herbs then letting it simmer in a slow cooker for two days. Epic’s Bone Broth is a great alternative for ready made broth to add to soups, stuffings, gravy or as a marinate.
- Whole-Grain Bread: Not all bread is created equal but one of the new favorites out is Dave’s Killer Bread, filled with protein, fiber and whole grains.
- Salad Dressings: If you’ve ever looked at the ingredients in salad dressing you may notice sugar being one of the main ingredients along with tons of unhealthy fats. Primal Kitchen’s dressing is sugar, soy and dairy free. The current favorites are balsamic vinaigrette, honey mustard and caesar dressing.
- Ready Made Salad: A chopped salad with no chopping? Unheard of! Try Eatsmart veggie kits! Great with added protein such as chicken, steak or shrimp or on its own.
- Pizza Crust: If you’ve ever made homemade cauliflower pizza crust, you know the lengthy process could take up to an hour or more. Trader Joe’s cauliflower crust features cauliflower, brown rice flour, chickpea flour, mozzarella cheese and potato flour. You simply pop it in the oven and it is ready to go in 10-12 minutes.
- Canned Fish: Safe Catch makes wild alaska pink salmon and tuna fish with the lowest Mercury Limit of any brand. They also feature flavors such as citrus pepper, garlic herb, chili lime and habanero mint for easy meal prep for salad, sandwiches and crackers.
- Granola: Nature’s Path not only makes great oatmeals, waffles and cereals but they also make granola made with real fruit pieces, rolled oats, nuts and seeds. Great added to your morning meal or just as a mid afternoon stack.
- Diced Tomatoes: Instead of using pasta sauce, substitute for diced tomatoes like Trader Joe’s canned fire roasted tomatoes. Also, when choosing diced tomatoes, be sure to avoid any added sugar.
- Frozen Foods: Need a fast fix? Try Dr. Praeger’s frozen food options. They make everything from veggie burgers to mac and cheese.
- Nut milks and creamers: Califia Farms makes excellent milk alternatives and dairy free creamers. Their products are sustainably made and GMO free.
- Mirepoix: You may have never heard of this but its an excellent way to cut down meal prep time by removing the cutting and chopping of fresh veggies for soup mixes or casserole. The pre blended mix includes carrots, onions and celery.
To read the entire article by NBC News, click here.